At 12:01 this morning, I sat down and started writing. Just three hours earlier I signed up for NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing Month--and then, against instinct, I followed the NaNo site's suggestion: tell everyone you know that you're going to write a novel this month so that they can prop you up when despair takes over and self-flagellation begins in earnest.
I fully expect this to be a Shitty First Draft, as Anne Lamott says; I'll be thrilled and proud to have birthed it. Not so proud that I'll be ready to share it with anyone--yet. Before I know it, I'll be molding this pile into a Shitty Second Draft. Am I ready to write 50,000 words in 30 days? Is anyone ever ready?
I cranked out my first 1,737 words today. I've been buzzing all day over it and how I'm going to squeeze out another 48,263. Sure I am. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but that didn't stop me from dispensing all sorts of advice to people I've never met who are also writing a novel this month. After I finished writing this morning, I signed up for no fewer than 10 forums. I'm diving into an online community instead of lurking. That's a first for me.
November 1 is a day of firsts. The first words in My Novel (working title: "SFD"). My first blog posting. The first time I asked my friends and family to cheer while I try to make a dream come true in 30 days.
Go!
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment