Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Too Hot to Handle

I'm writing this standing up at the Apple Store on Lincoln Road where the air conditioner isn't working and the temperature is somewhere between unbearable and Hell. Rivulets of sweat are pouring down my shirt and this sexy black MacBook has been besmirched with several plops of perspiration that have rolled unceremoniously off my nose and onto the keyboard. So much for looking or feeling cool among the sort of beautiful people.

For those who are keeping count at home, I passed the psychologically all-important 40,000 word mark last night and the future is looking bright. Some peculiar things have happened along the way in SFD-land. I'm not writing a mystery and yet it seems like one at times. I got a little jammed the other day with a plot line that even I had trouble following. Just when I wanted to rend my clothing and gnash my teeth, I remembered something. This is about getting unstuck. Note to self: there just isn't time for stuckness.

I've been stuck in a different way since I left NYC on Thanksgiving. I've been stuck offline, which is to say disconnected from the NaNoWriMo universe. I didn't realize how much I was relying on it till I found myself alone without it. It's not all bad though. The good part of being offline is that I've spent time with family and logged some hours on the beach reading a novel instead of writing one. It would be insane to come to Miami Beach and not go to the beach. On a less salutary note, certain family members have been unenthused by my rather time-consuming pursuit. I've had to wangdangle time here and there, which isn't ideal in this racket. When I'm on a roll, I don't want to stop. The aforementioned family members have come around, but it was a bit disappointing.

Having checked my email very quickly and updated my count, I'm heading out into the balmy South Beach night in search of air conditioning and an outlet. 2500 words tonight and another 2500 tomorrow before I land in NYC. But wait! I feel a Buster Poindexter tune coming on. Feel free to join in.

"Ole ole - ole ole....
Me mind on fire -- Me soul on fire -- Feeling hot hot hot
Party people -- All around me feeling hot hot hot
What to do - On a night like this
Music sweet - I can't resist
We need a party song - A fundamental jam

So we go rum-bum-bum-bum
Yeah we rum-bum-bum-bum
Feeling hot hot hot -- Feeling hot hot hot - oh Lord"

Something like that.

2 comments:

Ursula said...

Hey Adrienne--I was so glad to see you charging up on the right as it were. I expect to hit 50 k Thurs unless I get run over by a bus. At the rate you're going now, you'll be there 1st

Write on!

Yer Berkeley buddy Ann S

wmc said...

Lady, you rock. Go, go, go!