Friday, November 30, 2007

50K or bust

Here's the scene: I'm sitting in front of my computer last night. My heart is pounding. My stomach is churning. I'm struggling to stay in my chair. It's midnight, exactly 24 hours before the deadline. 29 days earlier, I was sitting here thinking I'd write a novel in 30 days. Now I was going to find out how close I was to reaching that goal. I had not yet scrambled my novel and put it through the NaNoWriMo word count validator, a decision that could be considered a reckless one given that word counters rarely come up with the same numbers. Co-sufferers have noted that their count was higher than NaNo's. Naturally, NaNo's is the final arbiter. I press the submit button (apt that such an act requires submission). The moment of truth: 47,988 at 12:05 a.m.

Now it's almost 11:30 a.m., and I haven't gotten down to business yet, but I had a brief brainstorm as I was out walking my dog earlier and now I'm at 48,087.

I'm going to get to 50K, assuming nothing breaks down in the next 12 hours, including me. Stay tuned.

No comments: