Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Bodice Ripper vs. Literary Fiction

I've taken to writing peculiar little bodice ripper vignettes as a warm-up exercise. Paging Dr. Freud. Could this be a backup plan?

There are November novelists who have reached great commercial heights, but we know that the odds are somewhere between slim and fuhgeddaboudit. I am not writing the Great American Novel. I would be thrilled to write a decent piece of so-called literary fiction.

I classified the novel as literary fiction for NaNo because I didn't know what else to call it. It comes closest on their list of genres. I know for sure it isn't science fiction or fantasy. It could be considered "mainstream fiction," which is characterized by plotiness (add that to your spell check dictionary) and is reputed to have greater commercial potential than so-called literary fiction.

SFD-wise, I'm proud of my effort so far and even some of the writing, possibly. The jury's out on that for a while because the judge sequestered the jury. The hill may be steep and the monetary rewards non-existent, but I shall not abandon my goals. I just need to keep my expectations in perspective. Or, in the case of these potboiler snippets, stretch things way out of perspective and try to make a quick buck.

No comments: